Saturday 16 October 2010

Yesterdays trash becomes todays gift


Friday is trash day in our street, and you'll be amazed about the things people throw away. I used to bring everything home that I found still useful and could, just by some paint, look wonderful again. But at a certain point, your house is full.

On Thursday evening, a lot of people who make money out of selling old things wander around the district. I remember an evening, bringing my son to bed and while closing the curtains he saw a guitar at the trash just in front of our house he wanted to have. I ran downstairs and even in these few seconds, one of these secondhand dealers picked it up and refused to give it to me even seeing my little son crying in front of the window. I could buy it from him for 10 euro!

Anyway, yesterday I saw some old vinyl records & took one home. Today we turned it into a lovely bowl. Than we remembered we had loads of them still at the attic, so we made a whole collection of different shaped bowls. Want to try it? I must add, that 8 to 10 minutes as described in the tutorial is way to long when the oven is heated. So the first one leave it in the oven for 3 minutes, if you want make more it took a bit more than 1 minute each to be melted the right way. Another thing, I used aluminum foil on the griddle, otherwise the edges melt. I doubt this is a healthy experiment, so leave the windows open.

Some more lovely vinyl record art, haven't found out yet how to cut these excellent silhouetted shapes, but I will soon.

My photo
A brand born from the creative minds of two friends, Joyce & Monique. Sharing their imagination, using the old, mixing it with the new, creating a product which is sweet 'lief' & good 'goed'. Sweet in the sense you want it, good in the sense: good for the environment. This blog is about what inspires us, things we love & updates. Thanks for coming around. *********************************************************************** What else? Well Joyce is married, having two small childeren, and one large one, a cat, has her own palmistry practice. Hates cooking but realizes its a necessity having a family. Vegetarian. Loves Bali & can't wait to move there permanently. Monique has two dogs and two chicken who refuse to do their job. Works at a financial advising agency. Is dieing to come back to Amsterdam. Drives a very cool cabrio, adores the sun and long walks on the beach. Likes gardening (minus the worms). She does like cooking (that's why she picks the recipes). Loves Pearl Jam, but Joyce refuses to have that on the blog.